Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Why We Need Objects

1. The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale.
This reminds me of when people create the armatures and buildings for stop motion films. Tim Burton created the stop motion film Frankenweenie, and he explained that when building the armatures you have to base your scale the main characters. You can't make Frankenweenie larger than the dog house.
2. Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience.
When I went to eight different countries in Europe, I wanted a souvenir that I thought truly represented that country. When I came back to the states I used all the souvenirs to show my friends and family a little piece of my journey.
3. The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three dimensional into the miniature which can be enveloped by the body.
I feel like miniature has became super important because people constantly want to hold, wear, or be hands on with an object. Jewelry is a great example of something that can be enveloped by the body.
4. Nostalgia can not be sustained with out loss.
I think this is so true. During middle school and high school I would keep a memory box and anything I thought was significant enough I would put in the box. Whenever I go home over break I always look through it and reminisce, however that wouldn't be possible if I would have just stayed in high school forever. No thank you.
5. To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy.
Possessing an exotic souvenir is most definitely like a trophy in a way of saying, "I have something one of a kind and you can't get it! So ha! Victory!" An exotic souvenir may also be considered a trophy through measurement of your success.
6. The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated.
Who wants to buy something special that's available to everyone at anytime? No one. The more rare and harder something is to get, the more desirable an object is.

No comments:

Post a Comment